Hillary Clinton recently said that “American can’t create peace in the Middle East on its own”.
The truth of this statement becomes shockingly obvious when one considers that it’s America who has been supporting Israel’s destructive military ambitions for the last 60 years.
America certainly can’t create peace, when they are the ones funding the war.
Hey, America! Here’s a crazy idea: what if you didn’t give Israel two billion dollars in weapons every year or so? Maybe that would help the peace.
Just a thought.
Anyway, I need to qualify the title of this post, or rather divide it into two parts. I have no doubt, whatsoever, that the majority of the Israeli people do want a peaceful solution to the Palestinian/Israeli conflict.
However, I also have no doubt that the Israeli government does not want peace, at all.
I can imagine that a lot of people will disagree with this statement but let me ask you this:
What possible advantage would there be for the Likud Party if peace were to break out?
Seriously, think about it.
And once you have thought about it you will see that the Likud Party has nothing to gain from peace, and a shitload to gain from war.
Let’s conduct a simple Pros vs. Cons analysis representing the various pay-offs for the Likud Party, shall we?
1) They have the support of the moderates, because they pretend to work towards a peace that mysteriously never comes.
2) They have the support of the extremists, because they let them steal Palestinian land, build homes on the stolen land and kill with few (if any) consequences.
3) There are also economic benefits because many Palestinians have no means of supporting themselves other than to work for Israelis in menial jobs, so the “war” provides a ready labour force.
4) There are further economic benefits because the state of “war” allows Israel to demand billions of dollars in military “aid” from the USA.
5) There are social benefits because the “war” allows them to demand mandatory military service from all Israelis, which gives them a great opportunity for indoctrination.
1) Every now and again a few citizens will be murdered by terrorist attacks.
Oh wait! I should’ve actually put this under the “pros” section, because this occassional death works very well to keep the people scared and keep them voting for a party that is “tough” on “the enemy”.
1) Fewer civilian deaths, on both sides.
Oh wait! That’s actually a con, because it will mean people are more likely to vote for a more moderate political party.
2) It’s the right thing to do.
BAHAHAHAHAHA! If you think that a political party who sanctioned the deaths of at least 500 civilians in Gaza gives a rat’s ass about the “right thing” then you are a very good person, who should stay out of politics.
1)Lose support of extremists who are vital for keeping the coalition government afloat.
2) Face votes of no confidence.
3) Perhaps lose all political power.
4) Danger that US taxpayers will start to ask why billions of dollars of their money is going to a country that doesn’t need it any more, during a fucking recession.
Now, one can argue that I am mischaracterising the Likud Party, but I really don’t think I am.
All I’m doing is asking one simple question: why would the Likud party want to work for peace, when they have so much to lose from it and nothing to gain?
It’s a good question, isn’t it?
As a final point: Joe Lieberman seriously sucks ass. In addition to pressuring Amazon to ditch Wikileaks he recently told an Al Jazeera correspondent that even though the entire world views Israel’s settlements as illegal he thinks that “international law isn’t clear” and that the settlements might not be illegal at all.
Joe Lieberman? Ass sucker.
Israel’s ruling political party? Doesn’t want peace, ever.
[Standard Disclaimer: this post was entirely my own opinion and was not paid for in any way, directly or otherwise, by anyone or anything that stands to gain in any way from the ideas expressed herein.]